The Dark elves that dwell in the underdark are sometimes referred to as drow. They are slender, and shorter than most elves. Females are both physically and mentally stronger than males, so the males tend to cower and be submissive to the females.
Their skin is dark grey or black, their hair usually white, but occasionally pale silver or blond. They have no facial or body hair. Their eyes are purple or reddish, or, rarely, white or gold. Elves are considered hauntingly beautiful, Dark Elves even more so.
They live underground, in caves.
They follow Baphomet, a dark and sinister god with a demonic appearance; or Vhaeraunor, the Masked God of Night; or no god at all.
They speak the common tongue or undercommon and/or the Drow-Elvish dialect. RP translators are not necessary. If there is a language barrier, rp it: learn by doing.
Dark Elves are long-lived beings, who generally take a chaotic evil attitude. They will do anything they need to in order to get what they want, even if it means murder. They are intelligent and arrogant, easy to offend (their greatest weakness), feeling hated and excluded from other societies, therefore are aggressive, offensive and hateful in return.
They don’t mix with other races unless it suits their purpose. They believe only in themselves, because faith in others is foreign to them. They are cruel and without compassion, and aim to breed the best of the best race in skill and might; therefore they don’t accept any mixed blood within their kinship.
Treachery is expected in dark elf society, and a devastating betrayal is admired.
Despite their sense of superiority, most dark elves fear that other creatures will get the better of them somehow, and they are always on their guard.
While not commonly associated with dark elves, humility is a necessary skill. Confronted on equal or lesser footing with a being of greater power, dark elves will often abase themselves to survive. The dead don’t get revenge and they believe death to be the greatest failure.
Dark Elves take calculated risks. Only those with a death wish put themselves in situations that are likely to turn against them. Thus, they rarely fight for anything but themselves. For a greater cause, like serving a deity or the survival of their House, some Dark Elves take greater risks, but only the most fanatical fight fearlessly.
An elf has three names: their birth name (which becomes irrelevant when they are grown up), the name by which they are commonly known, and their ‘true name’. They do not tell their true name, as to know this name is to have power over them.
– Keen senses – especially hearing. Can also see in total darkness, but not magical darkness
– The ability to focus actively on the environment and a task
– Persistent awareness – they don’t need to stop to pay attention to something
– Resistance to all other spells, nearly to the point of immunity
– Above average willpower
– High intelligence
– An affinity with magic – all elves are magical beings
– Resistance to extremes of temperature
– The ability to move very fast, and silently (with training)
– An affinity with spiders which they can communicate with and control
Dark Elves normally don’t sleep. They can enter sleep if so desired. This is known as ‘The Reverie’
– Light-blindness- Dark Elves are blinded by sunlight briefly, and suffer both physical and mental penalties while in the sun. – thus walk with eye protection (hooded) in daylight and prefer nights for their “hunts”
– Self-doubt – a lingering fear that they are not as superior as they believe
– Ego – They believe themselves to be a superior race, and if you say different you just started a fight
– Competition with surface Elves – They hate surface elves, to the point of ruining a mission in order to hurt one
– Distrusting – for they cannot trust even their own kin
– Hypersensitive ears – Loud noises can make them temporarily deaf
– Low disease resistance
– They are sensitive to alcohol and submit very quickly to its influence
– They can be commanded by any who know their true name
Group: Dalharen d’Oloth